Wednesday, April 25, 2012

RUN. DRIVE. SLEEP? REPEAT

I decided that Ragnar would fit in pretty good with my training for the La Jolla half marathon since they would be just a week a part.  I don't know what I was thinking...I thought it would be a great experience and I wanted to be able to say that I did it so
what is So Cal Ragnar Relay?
Huntington Beach to Coronado Island
203.5 miles, 12 runners, 2 vans, 2 days
YES!  I did it and like my first half marathon it was one of the coolest experiences in my life!  Definetly something EVERYONE should have on their bucket list.
 at the starting line in Huntington Beach, our start time was 5:45am but we had to be there @ 4:45am for our safety meeting.  So what time did we leave...3am:(
 at the first exchange waiting for our runner to get in. (she ran 5 miles in 39 min!)
 I had to pump after my first run.  It was my first time being away from Eloise overnight.  I didn't realize how much I nursed her until at the end of the race, I had a Gatorade bottle filled and half a water bottle in the ice chest. hahah

 Claiming our free donuts after all of our first legs
free stuff!  
 you can't cross the road without these big orange flags even in the middle of the day!  we were nice enough to spray down runners in the 101 degree weather, hah!  nice pants buddy...his whole team looked like this :/
sidewalk chalk to cheer on runners in the heat


not cool!
waiting on the side of the road in Lake Elsinore to give one of our runners van support
our whole team, Van 1 and Van 2

it was after midnight when we all finished our 2nd legs.  I started my hard 6.6 mile run (it was mostly UP hill) on a corner of the crowded Friday night streets of Temecula with my reflective vest on, head lamp shining, and red tail light flashing on my shorts.  I'm sure I looked like a big nerd and couldn't be missed.  I ran through a PITCH black golf course.  Luckily some random guy was nice enough to slow down for me so I didn't have to run completely alone, just to get to the top of a hill (only half way done) to be warned of a bobcat siting by the volunteers at the water station...that kept my pace up!  I finished running through Rainbow on the edge of Fallbrook.
sleep?  now I know why there is a question mark after sleep on the slogan for ragnar...you don't really sleep!
our team name was Once Upon a Ragnar so we dressed up for our last legs.  Lisa was Cinderella and I was a fairy.  I started my last leg in the Seaside parking lot pretty early and ended in Solana Beach.
All in all, I MUST do it AGAIN!...Next time with Clint :)

No comments: